Monday, August 3, 2009

Twin Falls 7.18.09

Before

After

This was my first triathlon. I was so nervous I swear I didn't sleep a wink the night before. I had been planning for Emmett to be the first one, but I felt ready to do one sooner. Twin was a pretty long sprint distance, but I had been training pretty well, so here goes!

The swim was way worse than I thought it would be. I wore my wetsuit more for floatation than temperature, it was a warm lake. But I knew I wouldn't drowned if I had it on. The course was an out and back and that red buoy looked so far away! It was a floating (treading water) start and I was not even to the start line when the gun went off, so that freaked me out. So I just started swimming and then panic set it. I could not put my face in the water, every time I did I felt like I was suffocating. I could not hold my breath for more than one arm stroke. I went to "sweet spot" (part of my swim technique to rest) and I pretty much floated on my back until I calmed down enough to try it again. It was strange because I could handle the kicking and the waves and I was not disoriented and I could see where I was and everything....it was just the fact that I couldn't swim. I even did a little breast stroke, or my version since I have never been taught the breast stroke. I could tell that I wasn't last, and I wasn't being passed by very many people, even though I was barely moving in the water. It seemed to take forever to get the the turn around and then once I made it there, I was so happy I almost cried. I just kept telling myself all I had to do was make it out of the water. My mind kept drifting to "why in the hell did I think I could do this" to "i still have to ride my bike and run after this". Finally I could see myself getting closer to the docks (which we had to swim under to get out of the water - not easy in a floaty wetsuit.) But I made it and I wasn't the last one out of the water. Thank God! I was able to strip my wetsuit pretty easily on the run up to T1. I was able to put on my bike shoes pretty quickly and compse myself enough to keep going. The bike course started with about a 1 mile climb out of the canyon and then the next 15 miles were flat and on the highway. I did okay on that part until about mile 14 when my front tire went flat. I hoped I wouldn't have to change the tube since I had not practiced that.....I stopped and filled it up with the CO2 cartridge and that did the trick. I made it 2 more flat miles and then the downhill into the canyon. I was so happy to see T2. Put on my running shoes and grabbed my ipod and I was on my way. I was so happy all I had to do was run....even though it was 5.25 miles at noon in 105 degree weather. The run started out on this nice gravel trail on the way out of the canyon and then turned into this single dirt trail and then into a rock climb and stair walking out onto new black top that was so hot you could see the heat waves. I made sure to walk at each water station and drink a full cup and pour a cup on my head and down my shirt. I felt pretty good on the run, all things considered and I was so happy when I started the downhill of the canyon (it was the same route as the bike, so I had seen it before) I knew I only had one mile to go. I finally came around the corner to the finish line....it never felt so good to see FINISH! I made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment