Monday, August 3, 2009

The Beginning

I had done a few 5k fun runs over the past few years and a few days after I found out I was pregnant I did my first Duathlon. In September 2006 I did the Hidden Springs Duathlon, it was a Mountain Bike Short Course (1.2 mile run, 5 mile bike ride, 1.2 mile run) in 1:04. I loved it even though I was nervous about the new little peanut in my uterus. I told myslef that day that I would do the race the next year, which would be 4 months after delivery....totally doable right. Wrong! I got so sick the week after that and I totally quit working out during pregnancy. It showed too because I gained 40 lbs and on delivery day I weighed 184. The first 20 pounds came off pretty easily and then I stayed at that 160 mark for the summer. When I went back to work and quit breastfeeding I lost another 10 pounds. Then I stayed at 150 for the next year and a half until my baby was 2 years old. I had always said I wouldn't be one of those mom's that still had baby weight 2 years later.....but oh the ideas we have before we are parents.
I finally found some motivation in a weight loss challenge at work. We did "The Final Cut" by Jilliam Michaels. It was a 30 day program and I lost 10 lbs (and won $60)! Finally I was back to my pre pregnancy weight and I finally felt good enough to exercise and I was just tired of being a fat mom! It was late Spring and I decided I would start running because it was so nice outside, and I didn't have a gym membership, so what else could I do. My husband started running with me and we progressed pretty easily to running 3 miles, then 4 and then 5. One of his high school friends told me about a triathlon he was doing and it got me thinking.....maybe I could do that. So I signed up for a Swim Workshop with my toddlers swim teacher and I bought a road bike. I started training and researching and I decided that I would do the Emmett Sprint in August. I have loved every bit of training and I really never get bored because if I don't feel like running, then I ride my bike or I swim. I still need more practice on the swim, but the bike and run are going well. So here we are on the road to a Tri.

No comments:

Post a Comment