Monday, July 19, 2010

Ironman Boise 70.3

Finally my A race for 2010! I didn't update as much as I wanted to about training, but as I look back on it, I was really busy! I was so happy during this entire race that I had trained with my coach. So here is my race report:

The 2pm race start leaves a lot of time for getting nervous on race day! I was able to sleep in a little bit and then Deana made us a big breakfast of pancakes, eggs and bacon! Then I packed a lunch and we headed down to drop off our stuff at T2. We had taken our bikes to T1 the day before so we didn't have a lot to pack up the hill for the race start. It was quite a little hike up there too. After I aired up my tires and filled my water bottles....there was a lot of waiting. My wave didn't start until 2:35 so we just stood around with our wetsuits half on...it was getting pretty warm, but it was breezy so it wasn't horrible....little did I know that it was really windy. Getting into the water was not as bad as I anticipated...I guess all the practice in super cold water paid off. I quick splashed my face and then I just got in and dunked myself....we swam over to the start and I had a couple of minutes to clear my mind before the gun went off. It was a little hairy at the start as usual, arms and legs everywhere, but it only took a minute to get into a rythm and it seemed like the buoys were coming along nicely....I got a little off track after I turned the first corner, but got myself in line again. It turned out to be exactly what I expected as far as time and effort spent. I felt good getting out of the water and I ran up the hill to the wet suit strippers...then I got sunscreen slathered on my arms and face and a cup of water with my gel pack and then I was at my bike. I got my socks, shoes, helmet and race belt on easily and headed out of T1. I was happy to be on my bike....until I crossed over the dam and started downhill, only to realize there was a strong headwind! I was worried about how fast that downhill would be, but I didn't brake at all because of the wind. It turned out that the entire 56 miles would be a headwind (seriously 35mph). At the turn around there was a tailwind for about 3 miles, it was the first time I could even hear myself think. Then heading down the steepest hill which I though would be scary because of speed, was scary because of a cross wind that blew my deep dish wheels all over the road. I was pedaling and still only going 12 mph downhill...rediculous! Then once I hit about mile 45 I realized I was working really hard and I have eaten all of my food, so at the last station I grabbed a banana and a gatorade and I actually decided to take it easy and save my legs for the run....as I headed up the last short hill, all I could think was "I made it" I rode down Federal Way with yet more headwind, but a huge smile on my face. As I rounded the corner down toward the Capital and T2, I was the only one on the road.....the 8 lane road was closed just for ME! I had this overwhelming feeling as I coasted down the hill and got out of my shoes, I was actually going to finish this thing...all I have to do is make it through the run. T2 was quick, I took off my helmet and put on my shoes and I was out of there. Suprisingly my legs felt really good, after all of the crappy post ride runs, it actually felt good. I saw the first water station at mile 1 so I took a quick swig of gel and a cup of water. Instantly my stomach started to hurt so I turned around and chugged 3 cups of water. I decided to put that gel in my pocket and just take what was at the stations. Luckily there was a station every mile and they had bananas and oranges, gatorade and water. The run seemed to go by really fast actually. I kept up my slow jog the whole 13 miles and didn't have to walk.....as I headed into the finisher's schute I was so focused on the finish line that I didn't see any of my friends or family....but as soon as I got my medal and bottle of water i walked out and there they were! I hugged Shauna and teared up a little bit, but never did actually cry like I thought I would.
We headed to the food tent, but I didn't really feel like eating so after i talked to a few people we gathered up my stuff and then on the way home we stopped at the Burger King drive through and I got a milkshake....when I got home all I wanted to do was shower and go to bed. It felt pretty good to be done and I even wore my medal to sleep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment